Monday, July 1, 2013

Baggage for the Trip




As I prepare for my summer vacation, I’m studying the scripture in Luke 10:1-11,16-20, where Jesus sends out seventy to all the towns he intended to visit.  They’re told to pray, to ask God to send out workers for the harvest is great!  They’re also told to travel light, no purse, no bag, no sandals.  This scripture captivates me for a number of reasons.  First, it carries that all familiar “sending” theme of God.  God sent His Son, Jesus to us to give us life.  Jesus sends out his disciples, then sends out the seventy, and finally in Matt 28, sends everyone out (by again sending the eleven) to baptize, to teach others what he taught us and to make disciples of all nations.  And, in this Matthew passage, we’re reminded that we don’t go alone, but that Jesus goes with us, even unto the end of the age.  The second reason this scripture captivates me is that we’re told to travel light.  I don’t know about you, but I NEVER travel light.  Lisa and the TSA people at the airport scanners marvel at my electronics bag.  I love to take all my gadgets and toys with me.  And, I usually pack more clothes than I’ll wear.  But, these disciples are told to go to other towns without even a purse, a bag or sandals.  Amazing!  How did they do it?  Actually, I think I know.  They were traveling with the faith, the assurance, and the confidence that they were enough.  The Spirit of the Living God lived inside them, encouraged them, empowered them and went with them.  They went with no “preconceived notions,” “prejudice,” “emotional baggage,” “drama” or “judgmentalism.”  They just went.  And, the Lord of the cosmos, the God of all creation, went with them and provided exactly what they needed.  How freeing!  How liberating to just be ourselves.  To leave ALL the extra baggage of life behind.  To become part of the marvelous creation of God that simply relies on His grace, His mercy, His provisional love.  And, if, as it says in Luke 12:11-12, “When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say,” then don’t we trust that the words will come in other situations, too?

So, as I finish packing way too much stuff, the words of my Savior roll around in my brain, to pray, to leave some emotional baggage at home and to take “peace” wherever we go!  May these words go with you also this summer.  Pray, take peace with you and leave some baggage behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment